If you are looking for AHSEC class 12 Alternative English question paper 2020, you are at the right place. Here I have shared with you Class 12 Alternative English Question Paper 2020-AHSEC
ALTERNATIVE ENGLISH QUESTION PAPER 2020
GROUP – A
1. Give brief answers to any five of the following: 1×5=5
- Where did the new vicar come from? 1
- At what age did Albert Edward start working? 1
- Who fell on Narayan’s car when it was packed in front of the hospital? 1
- In Narayan’s opinion, what does he lack? 1
- What is the name of the driver of Mriganko Babu? 1
- Who did invite Mriganko Babu to felicitate him? 1
- Who are the Magi? 1
- How much money Della did earn by selling her hair? 1
- Why did Robert Lynd read Emerson and Marcus Aurelius? 1
- Who is Socrates?
2. Answer any five of the following: 2×5=10
- How did the Verger treat his old gown? 2
- Why did Albert Edward decide to set up a tobacco shop after resigning from the church? 2
- What did make R. K. Narayan feel that he would soon become bankrupt? 2
- Which part of the author’s car could not ordinarily be replaced? 2
- What is an almanac? 2
- Why did Mriganko Babu decide never to seek a which doctor’s help? 2
- What was Jim’s reaction when he returned home? 2
- What did Della do to get a gift for Jim? 2
- Who is Marcus Aurelius? 2
- What would be the reaction of Robert Lynd if an earthquake happens? 2
3. Give brief answers to any three of the following: 4×3=12
- Describe how did Albert Edward prosper in his business as a tobacconist and newsagent. 4
- Why did R. K. Narayan avoid all public engagements and invitations? 4
- Describe Mriganko Babu’s reaction after meeting the Scarecrow. 4
- Bring out the relation between Della and the queen of Sheba. 4
- Examine Robert Lynd’s quest for instant wisdom. 4
4. Explain with reference to the context on any two of the following: 4×2=8
- “I can’t be the only man as walks along this street and wants a fag,” he said. 4
- “For some unknown reasons, Mriganko Babu continued to feel strangely drawn towards that figure.” 4
- Within forty minutes her head was covered with tiny, close-lying curls that made her look wonderfully like a truant schoolboy. 4
- “I desire wisdom as eagerly as Solomon, but it must be wisdom that can be obtained with very little effort – wisdom, as it were, that is caught by infection.” 4
5. Give brief answers to any five of the following: 1×5=5
- How many children were listening to the story of Sita? 1
- Who is the poet of the poem ‘Sita’? 1
- Whom does the brook want to join at the end of its journey? 1
- Name the birds that fly above the brook. 1
- Which country is referred to as ‘an antique land’? 1
- What was the expression on the face of the statue of Ozymandias? 1
- Which reason is the poem “La Bella Dame Sans Merci” set in? 1
- Where did the knight see a lily? 1
- Who will smite the village girl? 1
- What did the village girl carry to fetch water? 1
6. Answer any four of the following: 2×4=8
- Why are the children weeping in Toru Dutt’s poem “Sita”? 2
- What does the brook represent? 2
- Whose greatness is actually glorified in the poem “Ozymandias of Egypt? 2
- What did the lady do in her cave? 2
- What are the things the village girl is afraid of? 2
7. Answer any three of the following: 4×3=12
- Explain how does the poem ‘Sita’ reflect the poet’s deep love of nature? 4
- Describe the journey of the brook till it reaches Philip’s farm. 4
- What else remained there besides the broken statue of Ozymandias? What does it signify? 4
- Give the description of the lady the knight met. 4
- Describe the evening scene of the village reflected in the poem “Village Song”. 4
8. Explain with reference to the context on any one of the following: 5×1=5
- But who is this fair lady? Not in vain 5
She weeps, – for lo! at every tear she sheds
Tears from three pairs of young eyes fall a main,
And bowed in sorrow are the three young heads.
- I chatter, chatter, as I flow 5
To join the brimmer river,
For men may come and men may go,
But I go on forever.
- I met a lady in the meads, 5
Full beautiful – a faery’s child,
Her hair was long, her foot was light,
And her eyes were wild.
GROUP – B
(NEW & OLD SYLLABUS)
9. Change any five of the sentences given below as per instruction given, without changing their meaning: 1×5=5
- No one can escape destiny. (Change into affirmative) 1
Ans: Everybody has to face destiny.
b) People say that he is a spy. (Change into passive) 1
Ans: It is said that he is a spy.
He is said to be a spy.
- I come here for the last time. (Change into negative) 1
Ans: Never again I shall come here.
- Can I ever forget you? (Change into assertive) 1
Ans: I can never forget you.
- As soon as he saw me, he began to weep. (Change into negative) 1
And: No sooner did he see me than he began to weep.
- The house was blown down. (Change into active) 1
Ans: The storm blew down the house.
- The beauties of Nature are beyond description. (Change into interrogative) 1
Ans: Are the beauties of Nature are beyond description?
- Nobody will deny that I am right. (Change into affirmative) 1
Ans: Everybody will admit that I am right.
10. Add appropriate questions tags to any five of the following: 1×5=5
- Her garden is very beautiful, Ans: isn’t it ? 1
- Ridhi has just arrived from school, Ans: hasn’t she ? 1
- We will go to Shillong tomorrow. Ans: Won’t we? 1
- No man is immortal. Ans: are they? 1
- He is stronger than his brother. Ans: isn’t he ? 1
- She acted according to instructions. Ans: didn’t she? 1
- I cannot do it without your help. Ans: can I ? 1
- He tried with all his might. Ans: didn’t he ? 1
11. Fill in any five of the following blanks with suitable prepositions: 1×5=5
- I credit him _______ good sense. Ans: for 1
- There cannot be any compromise _______ this issue. Ans: in 1
- I am anxious _______ the result. Ans: about 1
- Be true _______ your word. Ans: to 1
- Richa prevented him _______ going. Ans: From 1
- You may rely _______ my word. Ans: on 1
- He is senior _______me in service. Ans: to 1
- We wondered _______ his ignorance. Ans: at 1
12. Rewrite any five of the following sentences using the verbs given in brackets in their correct forms: 1×5=5
- Iron _______(melt) at a high temperature. Ans: melts
- He _______ (study) in this college for two years. Ans: has been studying
- The boys _______ (play) in the garden when the tree fell down. Ans: were playing 1
- He never wanted to know where she _______ (come) from. Ans: had come 1
- We _______ (go) to Kolkata tomorrow to attend a seminar. Ans: shall go 1
- They came back home after the guests _______ (leave). Ans: had left 1
- Neer cannot go now as he _______ (feel) unwell. Ans: is feeling 1
- We _______ (work) on a new project. Ans:are working
13. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
Depression arising out of environmental factors is called reactive depression whereas depression arising out of some biochemical changes in the brain is called endogenous depression. If depression is mild or moderate and if the individual is in touch with his surroundings, it is known as neurotic depression. If the individual is severely disturbed and is not able to comprehend what is happening around, such a state is called psychotic depression.
Old age is one of the stages of human development, where a person attains wisdom, maturity, social and economic stability with social recognition and emotional fulfillment.
Generally societies show a great respect and consideration for the aged. In ancient times old people were considered as the guiding starts in Indian families, since they were symbols of tradition, respect, wisdom and experience. In primitive, ancient and medieval cultures, old persons had a recognized social roles. They were of great value because they could impart knowledge and skill to youngsters. The old people were considered as repositories of wisdom and traditions and were not perceived as problems.
At present, social structures and values are undergoing transformation from traditional to modern. There is a rapid stride in urbanization and industrialization leading to the breaking up of joint families and property. This has ultimately weakened the traditional families, social position and status of the aged in the family.
- What are the different types of depression? 2
- What is psychotic depression? 2
- What does a person suppose to attain in old age? 2
- What was the attitude of the society towards old age in ancient times? 3
- How urbanization and industrialization have influenced the social structures and values in modern times? 4
- Give the adjective form of ‘wisdom’. Ans: wise 1
- Give the antonym of ‘pessimistic’. Ans: Optimistic 1